Tuesday, May 27, 2014

He's Back

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. Cuzzin Ricky and I did the annual Dead Relative Tour on Sunday and then stopped and picked up the Sportster on our way home.



I really didn't need another project or another motorcycle but as I mentioned in a previous post I've always wanted one, so why not? The sheet metal has been repainted and looks real nice. The engine is in pieces but everything is ready to go back together. The valves have been touched up, the cylinders honed and it came with a new set of rings and a gasket set. The front master cylinder was all "jellied up" from old brake fluid but a repair kit came with it. I cleaned up the master cylinder and installed the new parts today. I swapped out the handlebars that are in the photo for a flat-track bend that also came with the bike. Next up will be completing the front brakes. I saw a set of new pads and a steel braided line in the box of parts, so hopefully it won't take too much to finish that up.

I finished up the skid for hauling my welder around on while I've been MIA.



I'm rather pleased with the way it came out. With the 3-point hitch it's easy on/easy off. The only trouble I had finishing it up was my cheapie Chinese spray gun broke. I bought a small trim gun a few years ago from Harbor Freight. I haven't really used it much but it broke just the same. There's a trigger rod with a piece of plastic bonded to it that allows the air to flow when you pull the trigger and doesn't allow it to flow when the plastic piece cracks in two. Fortunately, I was almost done when it broke. After I figured out what happened, I just left the piece out and sprayed like a mad dog since I couldn't shut the air off. I don't know if I can get the part or not. I can probably figure out some kind of way to machine up a replacement but I think I paid only twenty something for the gun to begin with. Probably not worth fooling with - especially since I've got a Sportster to get running. 

I've got a couple of other things done while the computer was down. I'll save those for another day, however.


No comments: