Thursday, May 29, 2014

English Wheel


The Blastolene Indy Special from here. If you want to know more about the builder of this machine, check out Randy Grubb. If you go to that page there's a short video of him making a helmet. If you're into metal working at all it's a must see. And then, if you decide to jump in with both feet, this is for sale:


A genuine made in England, English wheel. The asking price ain't cheap but quality rarely comes cheap. And if you decide to buy it, you can start building things like this:


Both photos from here, by the way. I wish I had the time to do more sheet metal work. I do have most of the necessary tools, including my own homemade English wheel.


A long time back I took a class on building NASCAR stockers in the heart of stock car country at the Motorsports Training Center in Mooresville, NC. I got a chance to play with the English wheel and the instructor was kind enough to let me measure up a few things and make a few patterns of the lower wheels. I finally got around to making one several years back. It's not as sexy as the one above but it's mine, it works, and it didn't cost me $9,000.00. The frame's a little small if you were going to be a full time panel beater, but it's just about right for motorcycle work. I've been working on getting the back part of my shop in order and in few more days I should have a spot for both the English wheel and my planishing hammer where they'll be readily accessible. I've been wanting to get started on making the sidecovers for the BSA but I really need a place where I can have all my tools laid out and handy. Should be there soon.

3 comments:

Frankie Flood said...

Do you still have the measurements for your english wheel? I have a small one, but have been wanting to build a large one. Yours looks stellar!

jedgarsquink said...

What make is that candy red pinstriped English wheel? Who was selling it? I'm curious because it just showed up in my driveway in Kannapolis! Seriously. The exact same machine. The people renting the shop next to mine evidently bought it. It's still on the trailer, waiting to be put in the shop.

Mark Ortiz
markortizauto@windstream.net

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The details and contact info were here: http://scootermcrad.blogspot.com/

Just one more entry in the small world file.