Monday, May 12, 2014

Workin' The Plan


I brought my welder platform home the other day. Unfortunately, there was a slight miscalculation on my part so I need to move the pins out a little farther in the front. No big deal but I figured all I had left was to make two brackets for the top pin, weld them on and splash some paint on the thing. Depending on the weather, I hope to get it finished this week anyhow.


Started driving the well over the weekend. That's a five foot piece of pipe sticking out of the ground with the driver slid over it. There's already ten feet of pipe plus the three foot of well point stuck down in the ground. I drive it down another two foot and I should be good on water and it will be at a convenient height when I screw the pitcher pump on. This operation is something real close to work. Also, depending on the weather, I'd like to have this done this week also.


You need to look close but there's a baby hazel nut tree in there. It made it through the winter OK and is greening up nicely. I've got two of the little ones, one that's a couple of years old and another about five years old. I planted a couple of blueberry bushes already this spring and the Missus just ordered a few things, so I told her to throw in a couple of Goji berry plants as long as she was ordering. They're supposed to be real good anti-oxidants but other than you can buy them at Menards covered in dark chocolate, I don't know a whole lot about them. 

I wish my grandmother was still around. In my quest to become self sufficient, she'd be a great source of advice - both grandmothers as far as that goes. One was born in 1898 and the other 1906. Their normal way of living when they were young is the back-up plan I'm aspiring to. Don't know that I need to go off the grid or anything like that, but being food secure and having heat and water during a power outage is always good. 

The vacation officially has started and I'm off to a running start. Looking forward to a very productive summer. Hope it's the same for all of you.

No comments: