Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sidecar


I pushed the VW out of the shop so I could get a little work done on the sidecar rig. I got the fender braces tacked on, the floor sheet fit up and a couple of Dzus fasteners installed to hold the rear of the fender in place. I still need to add a piece that will tie the two fender braces together underneath the top of the fender and then I can finish fastening the fender down. When I have the fender firmly mounted I'll make the skirts to completely cover the wheel. I'm not sure how I'm going to hold the floor sheet in place. Maybe some 3/16" "Pop" rivets. Once the frame is painted and the lights are wired, I shouldn't have to remove it for anything. I'm still kicking around the idea of adding a brake light on the back of the fender. Just might keep some knucklehead who's gabbing or texting on the cell phone from running into me at a stop light.

Anyway, big leap forward. It's supposed to get cold again for a few days so progress will slow again but I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy until it warms up a bit.

If I leave the sidecar attached all the time, maybe go whole hog and run a full fairing on the bike? If so, buy one or practice my panel beating skills some more and see what I can do? 

No comments: