Monday, June 25, 2018

Saturday Nights Are For Fighting

Took three fighters to an event Saturday night. We couldn't make a match for one of them, one of them got his ass handed to him and the third one fought to a decision that went his way. The kid that got beat should have gotten an academy award for his performance when he went down. I won't say he took a dive but he sure as hell didn't want to get back up. This is the second time I've worked this guy's corner while filling in for Jimmy and it looked like we were on some reality TV show both times. That's it for me. I'm quits with that guy. Our winning fighter fought real well, getting better every round. He needs to work on his breathing but for a guy who has only had seven fights, he looks real good. He has a classic style - throws well with both hands, puts the shoulder behind the right hand, keeps his feet under him and he's all business in the gym and in competition. Night and day difference between the two fighters.

A couple of real positive things from the night: Our losing fighter was actually crying after the fight. His opponent's mother came over to him and gave him a nice consolation/pep talk and when she finished she told him. "now give me a hug". Classy lady. The referee for the evening was one of the best I've ever been around. He called all the fighters together before the bouts began and gave them his instructions. He repeated his instructions to all the fighters prior to the bouts starting, checked on the fighters between rounds and did a fine job of controlling the action, protecting the fighters but still allowing them to fight. When our winning fighter came back to the corner after the bout, he was hanging on the ropes huffing and puffing while I pulled the gloves and his headgear off him. The decision hadn't been announced but the referee came over and told him to stand up straight and look like a champion. And you could tell he meant it in the nicest possible way. Also he told my guy before the fight started while checking his equipment and repeating his instructions, while looking at me, to pay attention to the old crusty guy, he's been around long enough to know something about boxing. I got a chuckle out of that.

I'm about down to my fighting weight now. I used to be a middle weight - 165 lbs. That's what I weighed when I graduated from high school and when I got married. While I'm a ways off from being a middle weight, I could make weight as a light heavy now. I'm floating around 177-178. My goal is to make 175 by July 7th. Shouldn't have any trouble making that after the bike trip. I've still got a bit of a belly, probably have to get down under 170 for most of that to disappear since I'm not carrying the muscle I used to. Regardless, I'm in pretty good shape for a guy who'll be attending his 50 year high school reunion soon. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the old dudes held up.

No comments: