Monday, August 6, 2018

B-25 Mitchell




I completed the hat trick of bomber flights yesterday with a ride in the B-25. Much different airplane than the B-17 and B-24 I went in previously. Sort of like the difference between a sportscar and a semi. Nothing I'd want to be in when the shooting started, just the same. This one was originally manned by a crew of eight. I would assume some of the crew would only have been in their late teens - meaning only a year or two older than the guys I used to have in my high school classes. It still amazes me that it's possible to fight a war with guys like I used to get in class, or still do, for that matter. In fact, the top photo is where I'll be reporting back to in a couple of weeks.

The plane in the bottom photo takes passengers on rides as well. This was the first time we saw this one. If it comes back next year we're planning on signing up for a ride. The cost is about the same as a ride in the B-17 or B-24. It ain't cheap but I am back working again. Besides, you only go around once, can't take it with you and all that.

Went to the wedding of my saddle pal/running buddy on Friday afternoon. I've been to a lot of weddings over the years but this was the first one I had to go through a metal detector to attend. The wedding was held in a federal courthouse and presided over by a federal judge. Small wedding with just a few close friends and family. I felt honored to be included. Her and I have known each other for 20 years now. Ours is a rather unusual friendship but one that I value highly. She married a very good man and I hope the two of them will be very happy together. 

Didn't get anything done on the projects this weekend. Temps climbed back into the nineties and I didn't really feel like doing much after the gym on Saturday and the plane ride yesterday - so I didn't. Some times I act just like a retired guy! Not for long though. Planning on getting some progress in the shop and around the shack this week. Need to finish up the Rickati to the point I can send the motor out and make some more progress on the 900. Got the Alaska trip fast approaching, so I'd like to have a few more things around the shack taken care of also.

Have a good week, get some exercise and save your money. You'll thank me when you're my age.

No comments: