Monday, August 13, 2018

Salem

Cuzzin Ricky and I went to the Silver Crown race at Salem, Indiana on Saturday. We stopped in Edinburgh for the BIG pork tenderloin sandwich on our way down. I forgot my camera but Rick took a photo of the two tenderloins and e-mailed it to me but for some reason I couldn't get it to load. Probably because it was too big - the sandwich was about the size of a manhole cover. I'll try and figure out what's going on with the photo. You really need to see these monsters.

The racing was good. I'd never been to the Salem Speedway before. It's a half-mile + paved track with some really high banking. Those champ cars really fly around there. 75 lap feature with 19 cars starting the race. Prior to the start they had the cars and the drivers on the grid and opened things up for autographs. They also had a stock car race prior to the champ cars and a some vintage cars between the races. Nice night at the track.

We took the long way home and headed west from Salem through Paoli and over to French Lick. We passed through Millersburg where my dad used to own some property but I couldn't remember where exactly it was or we'd have made a short detour and swung by. We stopped in French Lick to check out the Indiana Railway Museum, took a ride on the trolley from there to the hotel at West Baden Springs and did a bit of a walk-about. Beautiful hotel and grounds.

We headed west after the trolley ride and hit US 41 to head home so we could stop at the Big Peach for some fruit and produce and then stop in Terre Haute at the pie place for lunch. Pretty good tour of Indiana on a beautiful summer Sunday. Much more pleasant driving home on 41 than on I-65 also.

Back to work around the shack today with leftover tenderloin for lunch.

No comments: