Friday, August 3, 2018

Fenders


Busy day yesterday. Cuzzin Ricky bought himself another truck to add to his fleet, so I went with him to bring it home. It was worth a free breakfast and tee shirt, so that wasn't too bad a deal. By the time I got home the UPS man had been there and my fenders and tubing were waiting for me.


I took the old Preston Petty off and took a look at what it's going to take to mount the new one up. There's a bracket under the seat pan that will work. It was just tacked on so I put a couple more tacks on the front side, cut the tacks loose on the back side and then whacked it with a hammer until the angle was about right. I can move the fender forward a little bit yet but not much without hitting the battery box. Likewise I can shorten up the leading edge and rotate it around so I don't have quite so much sticking out the back. The frame loop around the back doesn't seem to look quite as "dorky" with the new fender but I'm going to bend up a new piece with a radius that will match the curvature of the fender and see how that looks. I'm sure it will look better as long as I do a decent job of bending it.

Not sure what I want to do with the front fender yet. I can mount it off the fork legs or off the bottom of the lower triple clamp like what you see on the cover of the AHRMA program Speed & Sport included in the box with the fenders. I'll keep working the back end and when I've got that dialed in I'll see about the front. Might want to consult with Surly before making any bold moves. One of these days this thing will be his anyway.

I am glad they threw the program into the box. It describes the various classes AHRMA runs currently. There have been some changes since I was a member, as you would expect. It does have the trials classes listed, so that's a plus. My original goal was to hook up my little trailer and head out to a few events after retiring. Throw the trials bike in the back of the truck, compete in the trials, enjoy the vintage road racing, and then come on home. If I keep moving forward on this project, that could be a reality for next year.

I've got another busy day on tap today - take the dog in for a haircut and then a wedding later in the day. It'll be a small ceremony in the afternoon and then dinner afterwards. I've got some things planned already for the weekend as well. August looks to be a busy month for me.

No comments: