Sunday, January 5, 2020

Plasma's Ready




I finished the plasma cutter set-up yesterday. I moved the one hook to the other side of the cart so both the power cord and the ground cable have hooks. I bolted the MIG wire spool onto the other side of the cart to wrap up the torch cable. While I was reading the manual, I came across a "last chance" water drain on the bottom of the machine. They recommend draining it after every usage. Even though I have a dryer/filter on the air source, I need to make an access hole in the baseboard before I strap it down to make it easy to drain the machine. I bought some straps for the Himalayan to hold a bedroll or tent to the top of the saddle bags. I think they should be about right to hold the plasma to the stand. I'll try them out and if they work use them and replace them. If they aren't right, the place I bought them from makes anything you could want or need. Eastwood makes a cover for the plasma cutter, so I think I'll get one instead of using a cheapie tarp or a big garbage bag.

I ordered some saw horses from them that were back ordered. They are supposed to show up today. I'm pretty well set for tools and equipment now. I am considering buying a new welder, however. Mine came out of my uncle's welding shop. I think he bought it sometime in the early sixties, so it's at least 55 years old now and has seen a lot of service.  One of the new inverter type machines would take up a lot less room and use less electricity. To Cuzzin Ricky's amusement, I now think of big ticket items in relation to my Social Security checks. A new welder is right in the neighborhood of two checks. Two out of twelve ain't bad - leaves me plenty of traveling money. Have to do a bit more research and see what I come up with.

No comments: