Friday, January 12, 2024

A Hard Rain's A Going To Fall

 


Looking for some rain, snow and single digit temperatures the next few days. According to the weatherman last I heard, I'm located on the boundary between snow and rain today and tomorrow, and then the bottom falls out of the temperature with the night-time temps in negative numbers at least until Tuesday. The snow and rain shouldn't be too severe, but I'm not a fan of the dangerously cold temperatures.


Nice afternoon yesterday so I split a couple of wheelbarrow loads of firewood in preparation for the sub-zero temperatures. It might be just a little on the green side yet. I cut the section of the oak that broke off into short lengths 7-8 months ago and the ends of the rounds showed shrinkage cracks. The rack where I keep the wood in the house has a fin tube behind it which should help dry it out a little more now that it's split into small pieces.

The splitting process made my shoulder and wrist ache last night. The frozen shoulder has got most of the range of motion back but it hasn't been put to the test before. The wrist was badly broken years ago. It normally doesn't give me any trouble but lumberjackin' is asking a lot. As the old saying goes, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself when I was young."

I went to the college the other day to get my line-up on the class I'll be teaching. The class was designed as an online class but it wasn't very successful. It looks like my job will be more of a facilitator than an instructor. The boss man said he's planning on sitting in, so if I run into trouble I'll have someone to bail my ass out. While there, he asked me if I'd be interested in being a "room monitor" two days a week for the high schoolers. I'm not, especially when I asked about the pay rate. Not only no, but hell no. I might end up teaching another class in the fall. Again, eight week class but two days a week rather than the one day a week for the one starting next week. As long as that one goes OK, I'll probably be willing to teach the next one.

No comments: