Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Books & Boots

 I took the Missus to the hospital for a couple of tests yesterday - she got both ends scoped. Nothing serious turned up but the doctor took a couple of tissue samples to send out. Mostly preventative in nature from what we were told. We should be getting the results back fairly soon but nothing to lose any sleep over.

While waiting I finished Blue Highways. That's what has prompted the nostalgia posts of late. I need to see if I can get a copy of the Roads to Quoz to read. Since it was written much later than Blue Highways, it'll be interesting to see Least Heat Moon's take on the changes that have occurred over the years. 



My new hiking boots arrived right after we got home. Only one pair of the order, unfortunately. The insulated ones were sold out but the other pair are right nice boots, especially at the price. Coach Jen sent me some info on a 20 mile hike in one of the state parks that needs to be completed in 8 hours. She sounds pretty serious about doing it, so these new boots should be just the ticket. They're Sorel brand, so they should hold up. The Missus bought me a new pair of Sorel pacs a few years back, even though my other pair were still serviceable after something like 40 years. I always gave them a coat of mink oil at the start of every winter and I did have to re-sew the stitching in a couple of places but I'm sure I could have gotten another 5 years out of them. I might keep these new hiking boots just for hiking or maybe riding the motorcycle around town and get myself some everyday boots. If I do that, these will probably be a lifetime investment. I still need to get a pair of insulated ones. Imelda Marcos has got nothing on me!

No comments: