Thursday, January 11, 2024

Travelogue

 


I'm currently reading Blue Highways, I think for the third time. I read it shortly after it came out, probably 1983, and then about 10 years later, I'm guessing. It's rare I ever read a book more than once, but lately I've been thinking about finding an old-style diner. In the book the author rates diners and cafes by the number of calendars on the wall. I remember the big bank calendars that you used to see hanging on the walls in businesses. You don't see the calendars or "real" diners much anymore either. A lot of the small restaurants closed during covid, others driven out of business by the fast-food joints. I'm looking for the small-town place with a counter with stools and eggs any way you want them. My town has a couple of fast-food joints and a couple of restaurants, One of which is close to what I'm looking for, but it lacks the charm of the type of place I'm looking for. Meaning more like a truck stop.

In the book the author travels the blue highways, those colored blue on the old road maps, in a Ford van. Surly and I did some similar traveling in my old Ford van. And we checked the calendars hanging on the walls wherever we ate. We stopped at a gas station in Mississippi years ago at lunch time and asked the attendant for a place to eat. He told us about the local McDonalds but I told him we were looking for a plate lunch and then he recommended a local church. The church ladies set a good table. One of the best meals ever - including cobbler and sweet tea, of course. That's why you get off the interstate.  

In addition to Blue Highways, I've read River-Horse and PrairyEryth by the same author. All three are interesting travelogues. He has another one out, Roads to Quoz. I've got library cards from two counties, but neither system has the book. The county to the west of me has a copy but I don't have a card for there. I can get it from an interlibrary loan or buy a copy from Amazon for $5.00, however, it's 592 pages and I normally never read a book longer than 500 pages. Might make an exception for this one.

I'm having breakfast with Cuzzins Ric and TVI. The restaurant doesn't have any calendars on the wall, but there is a photo of Mother Teresa.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

many diners had spontaneous random outbreaks of break dancing but without all that annoying break dancing music. they pretty much all went out of business.
youtube.com/watch?v=VbyX5Rm2LNM

Shop Teacher Bob said...

While those guys in the video were good dancers, definitely not what I'm looking for on the menu. I'm thinking maybe take a couple of trips this summer on our way to the races we might be able to find what I'm looking for. If not, should be able to get a couple of decent meals anyway.