Sunday, January 28, 2024

End of the World

 


It might not be the end of the world as we know it, but things are definitely heating up at the Texas border. I'm certainly not an authority on the Constitution, but it seems to be pretty cut and dried Texas is well within their Constitutional rights to protect their border. My only question is why did it take 6 million people crossing the border before any action was taken? Actually, I've got another question. What comes next? There's probably quite a few Texans that wouldn't mind taking up arms - a well regulated militia and all that. This could get sporty real quick.


I went over to the high school the other day in search of one of my old handouts. Fortunately, he's a lot like me and doesn't throw things out that might be of use some day. Or 12 years later as it happens. The airplanes were made by his students as part of some contest. Next on the agenda is an SR71 Blackbird made out of aluminum. That's going to be a challenge for them.

The instructor called me a couple of weeks back about going to Indy for the Shell Mileage Contest, like I did in California a few years back. This time the team will be staying at the track, so I might get the chance to camp in the garage at IMS. I don't have any details yet. When he called he just wanted to know if he could count on me to help out. 


Menards had LED Shop Lights on sale for $5.99 each, so I bought two of them. One for the welding bench and one for over the lathe.


It does a fine job of illuminating the old South Bend. The way the cords hang, they tip the light out in my eyes a bit. I'm going to make a couple of reflectors to fasten to the front of them which will add enough weight to get them tilted towards the wall and reflect some of the light down and back. 3500 lumens of nice, white light.


Surly sent me a photo from a Mecum auction that was passed along to him from a friend of ours - a Ducati Sport similar to mine. It sold for $27K. I showed the Missus and she asked what I would do with $27 large - down payment on the XKE maybe? And not more than two minutes later, I came across this photo. I could hook up my little teardrop and head out on the blue highways in search of cafes with three calendars hanging on the wall. Wouldn't life be grand? 

4 comments:

Surly said...

That's quite the shooting brake.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'd prefer a convertible.

Surly said...

You can borrow my Sawzall.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

those airplanes are beautiful.