Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Taking Care of Business

 Busy day, yesterday. I got my grades posted in the morning and then went to the steel supplier.


One of several engine stands I've made over the years. This one was designed for motorcycle engines. There are several slots allowing to bolt most anything on there, and if the engine won't bolt up, make a couple more brackets. As it sits, it's set up for a Sprint. 


Since the stands were made with what I had on hand at the time, there's no standard design or sizing on the material. I've got a VW motor in the dump trailer that needs to get moved out of there. The yellow head in the above photo is for the VW but it fits in the stand that's holding the spare Slant-Six. I bought a short piece of schedule 40, 2-1/2" pipe yesterday and slipped it over the 2" pipe of the VW head and tacked it on so it would fit the bike engine stand. There's a stiffener on the back of the upright tube but I'm going to weld on a couple of braces down to the legs before I bolt up the VW engine to the stand. Probably give it a fresh coat of paint while I'm at it.


The piece of grating I use on top of the horses sags in the middle if it's not supported. Instead of laying it on top of a couple of pieces of flat stock like I've been doing, I welded on a couple of pieces of angle. Something I should have done quite a while ago.


I put up another shelf yesterday. I had some plywood that ended up here courtesy of the wife's sister. I ripped it down for a couple of the shelves to keep short pieces from falling through. I need to support the center of the empty shelf, but other than that, I'm hoping that's all I'm going to need.

I've got some errands to run and some chores to take care of today, but I'm pleased that Surly lit a fire under my ass to get going on this.


No comments: