Thursday, March 23, 2023

Detroit, Second Installment


Whenever I travel I always want to go home, but in this case another couple of days in Detroit would have been good, since that would have meant my fighter was still winning. There's another one from the gym going to the Gloves tonight. I don't know much about him. Apparently, he used to come to the gym for awhile, but not while I was around. He's only recently come back, so I don't give him much of a chance. There'll be at least three more going down in the next few weeks, including the one who just fought in Detroit. I'm pinning my hopes on him to repeat as state champion and then a trip to the national event. We've already lined up some help to deal with the clinching issue. As always, time will tell.


Event Credentials To Add To My Collection


A.J Foyt Sprint Car 
George Bignotti, Mechanic


Bobby Unser's Pikes Peak Car

Just a couple of the cars from the collection at The Henry Ford. I'd like to go back there again when Greenfield village is open. I was able to spend a week there a few years back on a summer workshop program given by the National Endowment for the Humanities. I learned a lot and was able to have access to many things the average visitor couldn't enjoy. 

The NEH offers a variety of one-week and three-week programs. Most of them, as you would expect, are on topics in the humanities, but I was able to attend three of the one-week workshops dealing with the Industrial Revolution. I received a stipend to cover my expenses and all three of them were excellent programs. The deadline for applying has just past for this year, but if you are a K-12 teacher or a college instructor, you might want to keep this in mind for next summer.

3 comments:

Surly said...

Just imagine flying up Pike's Peak in a Champ dirt car. The closest you get to dyin' is really livin', brother.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I think he won Pike's Peak 7 times in that car. Bobby, Al and Betty were quite the successful racing family, Little Al also. I need to get to Alburquerque one of these days to check out the Unser museum.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

that looks beautiful, I love it.