Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Detroit Trip

 




I made it home from Detroit much earlier than I wanted to. My fighter lost his first bout Monday to a tough opponent. Unfortunately, just about every time my guy got inside on him, he would clinch or hold his arm. We definitely have to do something about that. He's now fighting at about the highest level of amateur boxing, so he's going to have to be able to deal with any style his opponent faces him with. We've been getting him some quality sparring but we've been focusing on guys who are good boxers, not guys who clinch and wrestle. He'll be fighting in Indy shortly to defend his state title, so we've got work to do.

Downtown Detroit was nice. Clean and presentable. The top photo is GM headquarters, which is almost right across the street from our hotel. Down just a bit is the Maritime cathedral and the tunnel to Canada. When my buddy Kevin and I ran the Detroit Half Marathon, we ran through the tunnel and past the church and I was humming Edmund Fitzgerald to myself the rest of the way after that.


We went to The Henry Ford museum while we were in the area. I've been there a couple of times before but my fighter hadn't. We had an enjoyable morning gawking at all the cool exhibits and when we finished we made a quick sashay through the gift shop. I saw the Sister Pie book on the shelf and decided it would make a nice addition to the Missus' collection of cookbooks, especially since Sister Pie is located in Detroit. We took a swing by there on our way home and got us some pie. Nice little shop not too far out of our way on our way home. Good pie, which is really hard to find anymore.

Nice little "working" vacation. I wish my guy could have won his bout, but he was facing the number two seed in the next round. Probably wouldn't have gotten past him, but it would have been more valuable experience. Next stop Indy.

No comments: