Saturday, March 25, 2023

Lumberjackin' & Pipe Fittin'

 


Did a bit of lumberjackin' yesterday. Wore my bibs rather than ladies undies, however.


I fired up the new saw and cut some of the old pieces on the rack that were just fine for the old fireplace but too long to use conveniently in the new insert. The short pieces were easy to split that way, which was nice. I brought enough into the house for a couple of nights worth of fires. It's still unseasonably cold at night. It wasn't bad working outside yesterday, though. Temps in the mid-forties, overcast. Just about perfect weather for doing this kind of work. 


Mary Astor is one of my favorite actors. I knew there was a big bruhaha over the custody battle of her little girl way back when, so I bought The Purple Diaries to take along on my trip to Detroit. I wasn't sure if it would be worth reading. It was cheap enough that if it turned out to be like the National Inquirer, I'd just pass it along. Turns out it was a pretty good book and I burned right through it, so I bought The Vagabonds while I was at The Henry Ford. It's about the exploits of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. So far it's a pretty good read.

My grandson called me the other day. He's considering pipefitting as a trade and wants to come down and learn a few things about welding. I've done some pipe fitting and taught pipe welding at the college and pipe fitter apprentices at Amoco years ago. It's a good trade and I'm glad to see he's got an interest in getting started on a decent career. I dug out my old Pipe Fitter's Handbook to give him an idea of what's involved in the trade and I'll get him started on some welding lessons when he comes down.

Surly sent me link to a video of Bobby Unser attacking Pike's Peak in the open wheel car I put up in my last post. He was the master of that race. I think he won it seven times in that car. Short video. Watch it.

No comments: