Thursday, June 29, 2023

Act Naturally

 


The Missus saw something on social media about singing a song that you know all the words to. This is the first one that came to my mind. This one and a Johnny Cash number are the only two songs I've ever done karaoke to. 

My cycling companion from the high school and I did our first long distance trip together on the Katy Trail in Missouri. We took the train down and back from Dwight, Illinois and rode about 200 miles of the Katy. I don't remember the name of the little town we stayed at one of the nights, but it had a grain elevator, a truck repair shop, a bike hostel, and a bar. As luck would have it, the bar was right next door to the bike hostel. After setting up shop in the hostel, we had a couple of beers and a Tombstone pizza at the bar and since it was the only show in town, we hung around to soak up some of the local flavor. About the time it got dark the bartender put on his HD hat, joking that after nine the place became a biker bar. He also cranked up the karaoke machine. 

After a couple of the regulars performed, my buddy and I were informed we were up next. I don't recall what my buddy sang but I did my best Buck Owens and Johnny Cash, figuring I couldn't go wrong with a couple of country icons in rural Missouri. I was kind of hoping to be behind the chicken wire like in the Blues Brothers in case things went bad, but I think the regulars were happy to have some new blood for the night.


I received a request to see a couple of better photos of the Sportster. Not a bad looking bike. It still needs a good cleaning but I won't be embarrassed to park it in public. There are a couple of bad spots, though.



The gasket on the gas cap was leaking and bubbled the paint around the filler neck and there's a couple of unwanted holes in the back fender. The empty hole I think was going to be used to mount the seat the previous owner was planning on using. Not sure on the other one - maybe a sissy bar? The first time I need to take the rear wheel off I'll do something about the holes. 

The smoke yesterday morning seemed to be worse than Tuesday. I did therapy and then met with one of the sponsors from last Saturday's race about some supplements. Went out later in the afternoon and put the new petcock and fuel line on the bike. The new petcock spun right onto the tank like it was made for it. The operating lever has positive detents for on, off and reserve. Also comes with a lifetime warranty. Should have bought this one first thing. However, I wasn't even aware of this brand until Surly recommended it. 

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

now I have Buck Owensesses's voice stuck in head, singing that song, tell him to shut up. I love yer Sportster. everything about it is very extra great. the bad tank spots are not unsightly. a vintage classic beautiful original preserved desirable bike. the wheels all by themselves are works of art. the paint needs hand polished with rags and Mother Mag Polish. I use it on older paint. then spray the entire bike down with WD40 and wipe it all off with paper towels then wax. then it's to clean to ride. display it at a vintage bike show parked on a nice carpet rug. DO NOT TOUCH sign. yer going to be asked to sell it, everywhere you ride.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'll get it cleaned up after I finish the motor and see how it looks. I never considered taking it to a show but there are a couple local shows I could take it to. I do like the aluminum rims much more than chrome steel ones.

If you have to have an ear worm, can't go wrong with Buck Owens.