Sunday, July 2, 2023

Running and Walking

 


Got lucky yesterday and was able to do the 5K in spite of storms earlier in the morning. It wasn't looking too promising when I was on my way to pick up my running buddies. It was coming down pretty hard, but slacked off when I got to their house and had pretty well cleared up by the time we reached our destination.

As it turns out, you could run, walk or do the ruck march. There was no timing or scoring, it was strictly a fund-raising event for the veteran services in the county. My boxing buddy and a local young lady were the cream of the crop as far as the runners went. They finished 1,2. Coach Jen was a little disappointed in her time but it was hot and muggy. She had hoped to see a decent improvement over her time from a couple of weeks ago but I'm sure she'll be getting faster - she's training hard, both running and strength training. 

Yours truly was the first walker in, but there was zero competition. There were some walkers, but I think they were there just to get some exercise and support the cause. Since there was no timing, I don't know what my time was but I think I improved from my last two outings. Still a lot slower than what I was a few years ago, but I'm going to try and knock at least 5 minutes off my time before the end of summer.

Everyone received a shirt and dog tag. Some of the money collected will go to the 22 Veterans a Day organization. The rest will be used to help local veterans with whatever they need, no red tape involved.

The next event for Coach Jen and I will be a bicycle race at the end of the month. There's another 5K locally in a couple weeks but it's a color run. No way I'm doing that one. We're planning on a couple more 5K events. One in August and maybe two in September, and I want to do the local one the Friday after Thanksgiving again.

No comments: