Thursday, July 13, 2023

More This & That

 


I went out for lunch yesterday with a couple of friends. I was a little early so I walked over to the park. With the recent rains, the river was flowing and everything was nice and green. Nice afternoon to be out, especially with a bit of fellowship with a couple of people who I hold dear.


After I got home, I sanded and applied a coat of finish on the "climbing bear" I cut out the other day. The bear is designed to hang from a couple of strings that when pulled, has the bear walking up the strings. When he gets to the top, let the strings go and the bear slides back down the strings. A birthday gift for a young lady who plays with the one in our house when she comes to visit.

The grandson gave me a hand on a little fab job when he came down the other evening for his welding lesson. He's got a few things to learn about being the welder on the job - get in position to tack the parts so you can tack them as soon as your helper pulls the parts into position and steady yourself by resting your arm on the fixed part rather than the piece your helper is trying to hold in position. These things take time and he's picking up on them quickly. His welds looked really good though. No grinding required before paint.

While he was here he told me about Outlaw Leather. They sell some really bitchin' welding helmets and other items for pipefitters and ironworkers, primarily. I've got 7 or 8 welding helmets around here now, so I definitely don't need another one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the grandson buys himself one if he gets into the pipefitters. If he gets in, grandpa just might buy him one.

I've got cam shims ordered for the Sportster - should be here in a few days. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the bottom end buttoned up shortly after they get here. I would like to ride this thing before the snow flies. I did take the Himalayan out this week for a short hop to the barber shop. I've been riding my pedal bike to my therapy sessions. Unlike some of the country suffering from a heat wave, the weather's been real nice for cycling around here. It'd be even nicer if a guy had an old Sportster to scoot around on.

3 comments:

Surly said...

I don't know if he'd appreciate it, but the kid's dad could make one of those helmets. And it wouldn't be two-fiddy.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

That'd be pretty cool. One of the old-style Jackson or Sellstrom helmets would be a good starting point. Didn't you have one of those?

Surly said...

I think I have it still. I like the leather on the bottom; the fiberglass won't slam you in the collar bone when you drop it.