Monday, July 17, 2023

Tool Making

 


I made a tool for removing the inspection plugs on the clutch cover. After getting it finished I came across a store-bought one I had when I was working on the other Sportster a few years back. It's just a little thing that has a hole in it for a 3/8 drive ratchet. I'd be a little pissed if I had a lot of time/money invested in making the new one, but it was made from scrap material in no time at all.

I looked for the clear plug that goes into the crankcase to facilitate setting the timing, but no luck on that one. One's on the way now, though. I pulled the metal plug out and jogged the motor with the starter button and oil gushed out of the hole - at least I know it's got good oil pressure. I ordered a battery rather than jumping the bike off of the welder battery. 

Next up is to make a stand so I can get the bike up off the back wheel. I've got an idea that shouldn't take long to make. It'll allow me turn the engine over by hand after removing the spark plugs, and remove the rear wheel to put a new tire on it. I'll have to remove the bracket supporting the drag pipes to use it after I get the bike finally assembled but I shouldn't need to use it very often. 

This job keeps snowballing but since I'm planning on keeping it, I'll keep after it regardless of what it takes to get it finished.

No comments: