Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Keep On Smiling

 


I've been doing fairly well with the smiling, but sometimes it's just not easy. The exhaust fan in the bathroom no longer is functional. I can probably rig something up to make it work but I'd just as soon replace it. However, that would require me to go up in the attic and freeze my ass off. Since warm weather's a ways off, I should probably go ahead and see about patching it up. 

The toilet in that bathroom broke a few days later. The plastic gizmo that the float arm attaches to split. It will still flush but I want to replace it the toilet. I replaced the one in the other bathroom a couple of years back and I'd like to have another one like that one. Two different buttons for flushing. One uses one gallon per flush, the other uses 1.6. Conserves water and it's a few inches taller. 


I went out yesterday to salt down the steps and the driveway aprons leading to the garage. I made it about 10 feet and the bottom of the boot came apart. I've had these for quite a few years but they don't have a lot of miles on them. Nice insulated, waterproof hiking boot. My other day-to-day hikers are about due to be replaced as well. I need to take a trip to someplace that has a decent selection so I can try them on. No one stocks a 12-1/2. It's either a 12 or a 13. Depending on the make of the boot, sometimes I wear a 12, sometimes a 13. Maybe a trip to Bass Pro or a run to Indy to shop at REI and stop in at the Royal Enfield dealer and Trader Joe's. (And keeping with the theme, it took over 24 hours before the photo I sent came in from my camera to the e-mail account. In fact, I sent it three times and as I write this only two of them have come in.)

The night school class is turning out to be a lot more work than I had planned. I started working on the next module and it turns out not only is it a turd, but it caused my computer to lock up - appears to have been hacked. So instead of just being the answer man, I'm now going to be creating the course and delivering it. Fortunately, I still have much of the material I used when teaching at the high school and my previous stint at the college. Since the course is only 8 sessions in length, it will be more a matter of limiting the amount of material I need rather than trying to come up with enough to prepare the normal 16 sessions. If I didn't have a lot of experience preparing lessons and teaching the material, I'd be in a panic. As it is, it just means quite a bit more prep time than I was planning on. 

Like most everyone else, always swinging at curve balls - dealing with the weather, dealing with the house, dealing with the job. Nothing too tough, but time consuming and a PITA but I wouldn't want it any other way. 

2 comments:

Surly said...

Some Barge cement would probably fix that boot up for the rest of it's life.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I thought about repairing it but tossed them out. I'm at the age that if I buy a new pair they'll literally last me a lifetime. I typically only wear them a half dozen times a year at most. If there's a lot of snow or real cold temps I wear my Sorel boots. If I need to have steel toes, work boots with two buckles. With the noticeable shrinkage of the value of a dollar, might as well invest a "C" note in my feet.