Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Dead Guys

 The motorsports world lost several big names recently: Gil de Ferran, Cale Yarborough, and Roland Leong. 

Gil de Feran was an accomplished Indy car racer and was only 56 when he passed. The cause of death was either a heart attack or a stroke. 

Cale Yarborough was a very successful NASCAR driver, who also made four Indy 500 starts as well as a run at Le Mans.

He's probably best known for his 1979 race at Daytona and the last lap dust-up with Donnie Allison. I remember watching that race on TV. He had a good run making it to 86. 

Roland Leong was the name primarily associated with the Hawaiian Top Fuel and Funny Cars. If you've been interested in drag racing at all, you knew Leong's cars were always going to be in the hunt.

RIP gentlemen. I got a lot of enjoyment watching your performance on the race tracks over the years.


And I'll close out with a little something from the King since it was his birthday yesterday. I've lived 30 years longer than he did - pretty proud of that fact. Hoping for at least 10 more. I'd still be a few short of Yarbrough, but if I watch the diet and continue to exercise I might make 86. However, God only knows.

No comments: