Tuesday, January 2, 2024

One Down, 365 to Go

 

I watched the NHL Winter Classic yesterday, like I have done ever since they started having it. I haven't been watching any sports on TV unless the Missus has something on and I catch a bit of it while walking by. I'd never heard of the Seattle Kraken before, but it was them against the Vegas Golden Knights. It wasn't a bad hockey game. I spent most of the second period in the kitchen making dinner.


Traditional New Years day meal, Hoppin John and corn bread. I don't know if it really does bring good luck, but I'm a fan regardless. We were out of Jiffy corn bread mix, so I had to make a batch the old fashion way. Pretty tasty meal and done in time to watch the third period of the game.

Coach Jen and I talked boxing on the way home from the game Saturday night. It's time for us to get started on the training program to get a couple of guys ready for the Gloves. I met a guy at the boxing club Saturday morning who wants to fight in a master division tourney this summer. He's an old motorcycle guy like myself, so I'm going to help get him ready for that. The gym's been pretty busy, so I can give him some individual attention he wouldn't normally get. He's never fought before, so he's going to need some help and I'm planning on hitting the gym pretty hard until spring anyway. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoppin' John is not a traditional New Year's meal here on the west coast of Canada, in fact I had never even heard of it until your post so I searched the internet and found pages of recipes. I'm a little late for New year's but am definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for your dedication to you're blog.
Bevin

Shop Teacher Bob said...

As you mentioned, there's a lot of recipes out there, mine is pretty simple. 1 cup of rice, 1 can of blackeye peas, green pepper, onion, garlic, salt and a little bit of Frank's when served. I make it 3-4 times a year in addition to New Year.

Best wishes on the upcoming year!