Thursday, May 9, 2024

It's Always Something - Again

 


The iris are blooming now. This is where my little kitchen garden was last year, it's now the "formal" garden. I did buy some pepper and tomato plants to put out in the not-so-big garden out back. Since I joined the CSA again for the summer, I didn't figure planting a bunch of veggies was going to be worth it. 

I got a text message from the high school yesterday. The instructor needed a little machine work done for his high mileage car project, so I went over to see what I could do. 


The piece is a manifold for the engine. It had a 5/8" straight bore but it needed to taper to 1-1/8" on one end. The easiest way to chuck it was to grab it with the flange facing out. However, that would mean starting the taper on the small hole and the large end would be up against the chuck where I couldn't see the diameter. I did some trig, first on the bench top with a soapstone, and then double checked my math on the scrap of paper in the photo. The taper looks good and the size of the tapered hole is right on the money, or at least good enough for the girls I run with.

I'll drop the piece off this morning, do some running around taking care of a few other things, study for the ham license and then get back out in the shop.

 

No comments: