Sunday, September 8, 2024

Brake Dancing

 


Marty's version is right up there with Gene's.



A couple of parts for the rear brake on the vintage trials bike. The piece on the left will be the part you push down on to actuate the brake, the piece on the right is a bushing that the brake lever will pivot on. However, the bushing is supposed to have an ID of .500", and the OD should be .6875", that is 1/2" and 11/16", but the OD is .001" under. I don't know if I didn't read the fine print when I ordered the bushings, they came two to a package, but they both measure the same .001" under size. I can make another steel boss the bronze bushing is supposed to press into, using an adjustable reamer instead of the 11/16" one I used. Or, I can put some center punch marks on the outside of the bronze bushing and then use some Loctite bearing mount on it and call it good. It's not anything high speed and even if the bushing would spin in the steel boss of the pedal, probably never notice it anyway. Of course, there's always the option of buying another bushing, which is the smartest option. It's never a good idea to make a bunch of non-standard parts on something that's liable to get damaged.

I'm still waiting on the clevis ends but they should be here real soon. I'm looking forward to having this thing completed.  

No comments: