Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Clean-Up Progress

 


Beautiful day yesterday. Nice blue sky when I closed up the shop and that stripe of brown in the lower right is the sorghum that has ripened up. I don't know much about the economics of growing sorghum compared to corn or beans, but I like the view better when the shadows get long in the afternoon.


I rarely use a Morse taper drill bit under 1/2", instead, I use regular straight shank bits in a Jacobs chuck, both in the lathe and the drill press. However, as you can see from the photo, I've got a bunch of them. They were starting to get rusty, so I cleaned and oiled them and then put them in a sealed container. Sorted and organized the larger ones as well as the adaptor sleeves. 

After getting that done I started on another shelf of the work bench where I have electrical stuff, including a plasma cutting outfit that can be used with a regular welding DC welding machine. It uses argon as the plasma gas, so it's much more expensive to operate than newer machines using compressed air as the plasma gas. It was expensive back in the day but probably not worth much now since plasma cutting machines are much more available and cheaper than when I picked that one up. I don't have the heart to scrap it but don't have any use for it either.


Working on sorting some of my fixtures as well. The aluminum ones in the foreground are for making motorcycle parts when I had access to a CNC years ago. Like the plasma cutter, I'll probably never use them again, but I hate to scrap them. Especially since I still have the programs to make the parts. There're also a couple of other simple plates there, one for altering Sportster clutch and brake levers to be used on a Sprint. The other was for making clip-on bars - no problem scrapping those. The angles on the table are to make some shelf brackets for stock in the big barn. Surly's in charge of the barn organization, and he's off to a good start, but there's a lot of work to be done.   

No comments: