Friday, September 20, 2024

Two By the Hag

 


Looks like I'll be teaching in the new year. Classes run eight weeks each, so I'll have the first eight weeks off, and then work for eight weeks teaching Stick II. That means I can get time off for eye surgery and stay home during the worst part of winter. After that, I'll be done for sure. The boss is still really short-handed for instructors - one of the new hires quit already, and he's looking for two full-time instructors. However, regardless of the instructor situation at that time, yours truly is going to pull the pin.


With all that's going on in the country, this is liable to become a theme song for more than a few people. Seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same.


I made a box to store the plasma cutter attachment that can be used on a regular transformer - rectifier welding power source. It uses argon as the plasma gas, so it's not cheap to operate, but the specs say it'll cut through 1/2" stainless and aluminum. I'm thinking that's a bit optimistic, but under the right circumstances it could come in handy. It's probably not worth much now that air plasma machines are readily available, so might as well keep it.


Finished box is ready to throw in the back of the shop with the old welder. It's a mouse proof package so it can stay boxed up for quite a while worry free. 

The plasma cutter was manufactured by Airco - Air Reduction Company. They used to be a big name in welding equipment. I've got an Airco constant voltage power source with a spool gun for spraying aluminum. I think Airco's welding equipment was bought out by Miller, and the gas products division was bought by Air Products, but I'm not certain. Seems like it was here and then it wasn't. 


No comments: