Monday, September 9, 2024

Sorta Long Post

 

Paul Goldsmith passed away last week at the age of 98 - the only man to win Daytona on a motorcycle and in an automobile. The photo is from my book American Racers, 1940 -1980. I've carried that book all over the country getting autographs - there's several world champions and AMA champions in there. I used to go by the Griffith, Indiana airport, home of G&N aircraft -the G&N standing for Goldsmith and Nichels. One day I decided I should stop and see if I could get Paul Goldsmith's autograph.

I stopped in and ask the receptionist if I could see Mister Goldsmith in order to have him sign my book. She said he wasn't there but she would keep the book and have him sign it when he gets in. She could tell I wasn't real keen on giving up my book, but she promised to lock it up in the safe. I stopped back the next afternoon but Goldsmith still hadn't shown up. But just as I was about to head home he walked in. He was kind enough to sign the book and he thumbed through the book and talked for about a half hour about some of the other racers and races he had been in.

Goldsmith's partner at the airport was none other than Ray Nichels. Any racing fan of my age will recognize that name. He owned Nichels Engineering and was the man behind the development of both Pontiac and Chrysler stock car teams. He also was affiliated with Harley Davidson in the early seventies, but I'm not sure what the deal was. I was working as a welder on a plant expansion project '70, maybe 71 and I was on the roof of a building we were constructing in late January. Nichels was only a short hop, skip and a jump away from where I was working and I heard the unmistakable sound of an XR750 on the road in front of the plant. Someone was doing an engine break-in or last-minute check on a factory bike before heading to Daytona. That thing made some beautiful music.

The Missus worked with Nichels' wife, and they were both on the bowling team for their employer. Nichels and I would both show up to watch the ladies bowl once in a while, so I had the opportunity to talk to him on a couple of occasions. He knew how to make a race car get around a track, both with stock cars and Indy cars. Both he and his wife were both very nice people as well. 


This one goes along with the previous Ford pickup photo in a post not too long ago. This was actually the color combo I remembered from back in the day. I'm still a long way from paint, but now I've got a reference photo. Photo from The Daily Timewaster.


I did a little work on the brake lever. The Vise-Grips on the pivot are just to hold the lever up against the stop. The clevis ends are supposed to arrive today, so I should be able to get the rear brake finished up soon. I've got a boat to work on tomorrow, though. Not sure how much work is going to be involved, but there will be aluminum TIG welding involved.  

No comments: