Thursday, August 13, 2026

Jazz, Socks & Rain


 A little old school jazz - music to soothe the savage beast and all that. I need something on the soothing side after what I went through trying to buy some socks.

I went south the other day and went to Walmart to see about buying some socks since the two different orders from Amazon didn't work out. I found some with a high cotton percentage and the right length but they were just a little small for my big feet. Since they were what I was looking for, I decided to order the bigger ones online from Walmart even though I would have to pay the shipping cost - at least I would have the type of socks I wanted.


And this is what I got. Instead of 6 pair of Golden Toe crew socks, I got three size 14-16 Hunter Green  polo shirts. I filled out the paperwork and printed it out to take with me when I headed north to get some lab work done. However, I didn't realize the storm on Tuesday was as bad as it was. My first clue was going through the little town north of me and there was a line about a mile long of people trying to get into the gas station. The next station north wasn't as bad but backed up. The lab was closed, as was the college which was going to be my second stop. I abandoned the rest of the stops, except for Walmart, due to more rain coming down and all the traffic lights being out. I was able to return my socks and as long as I was there, I figured I'd check out the sock aisle.

 


And I got lucky - 12 pairs of 78% cotton crew socks big enough to fit me for $21.16 with tax. I did have to stand in line for a bit. The line wasn't that long but the lady in front of me was dragging two carts through the line and I figured since all I had was my socks, she'd let me go ahead. She never acknowledged I was even there but there's no law saying she should be courteous when shopping at Walmart. Besides, I was pretty happy to stand in line since I finally got new socks.

Celebrating the Missus' birthday today. Just going out to eat locally since there's still a lot of power outages if we try to head north, not to mention the roads that are closed due to flooding and downed trees. Birthdays aren't as big a deal as they were when we were young. The most important thing is we keep having them.
,

1 comment:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

they wore high percentage cotton socks in that Jazz band.