It rained Sunday a bit and again Monday night into Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning rain was a genuine storm. Lots of thunder and lightning. I received a phone alert from the college later in the morning, even though I no longer work there, warning of a tornado and the chance of winds up to 100 mph. I don't think the storm managed to get to 100, but it sure did blow and rain. We lost power for about 5-6 hours, but the generator kept the lights on. It finally quit raining about 3:00 PM, but we got a lot of rain - especially when you add in the rainfall on Sunday and Monday.
As you can see in the photo, lost a big part of the elm tree in the back yard. The photo doesn't show it very well, but two large branches split off the main trunk, opening up a big gash. The trunk had already been compromised by the loss of another large branch a couple of years ago. I should be able to clean this up myself, rather than having the tree guy come back out since where it broke off is not too high up the trunk.
The windstorm seems to have pushed the old oak over a little more. If you look at the photo a couple of posts back, you can see the difference. Also, if you look at the right side of the photo you'll notice the end of the lower branch is now touching the ground. When I mowed the other day, it was about two feet above the ground. I might have to have the tree taken down. I had that one and the other one to the left of it trimmed a few years back so nothing was overhanging the roof of the house, but at the angle it's now leaning, if it goes down it might hit the corner of the house. I'll give it a good hard look and decide what I'm going to do. I'll hate to see it come down, but I'd really hate to see it in my bedroom.


No comments:
Post a Comment