Rest in Peace Dolly!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a lay-out of the tank on the 16 ga. sheet I'll be using. I wanted cold rolled but got hot rolled instead, so I'll have to grind off all the surfaces where I'll be welding, especially if I TIG weld the seams and all of the bungs. The layout doesn't have the top as part of it because he had the steel supplier cut that out to size. I don't have a finger brake, so I think I'll bend up the long sides and cut the ends out and weld them individually.
Assembly procedure as follows:
Cut out all parts and drill holes
Bend sides
Tack weld end pieces and top together
Finish weld sheet metal pieces
Install all bungs and filler pipe.
I haven't decided if I'm going to TIG weld the sheets or gas weld them. Likewise, I might TIG weld the bungs or braze them in place. Lower heat input with braze welding and I should be able to get a nice, smooth, leakproof fillet all around them.
I might try a couple of practice pieces before committing to either method.

No comments:
Post a Comment