Cedar chest after a coat of varnish - I think it looks pretty good. It would have been nice if the wood on the outside looked as good as the wood on the inside. The inside doesn't have any of the white stripes, but compared to what I started with, it'll do nicely. I still need to do something with the drawer front, however. I checked the stains available at Menards and they have some reddish colors but nothing specifically red cedar that I found. I was wondering if I could add a little oil base red paint with some brown to get a pretty good color match and then add it to the varnish. Menards does have small cans of stain for less than $10.00. That's probably my best bet. Find something close, stain, varnish and call the project done.
I should look into getting a new man door for the barn while I'm at Menards. The one on there now is a steel door that has the bottom few inches rusted off and the seam on the lock side where they joined the inside and outside sheets has opened up. It's a 36" door that measures a little under that. I'll have to take a tape measure with me and measure a replacement to make sure it'll fit in the opening. I'll probably run up there one day this week - nothing else on the calendar this week for a change.

No comments:
Post a Comment