Monday, July 14, 2008

Blacksmithing





I'm working the local county fair Blacksmith Shop again this year. Four hours per day for a fun filled week of sweating and breathing in coal smoke. This is the third year that my helper Craig and I have done this. We hammer and tinker on whatever we feel like making and chat with the people who stop by. The ringing of the hammer on the anvil always draws in old men and young boys. We're planning on making a couple pairs of tongs for Craig, a quilt rack and a rack for hanging kitchen utensils. We usually get a couple of small commission jobs as well but we're extremely flexible. It's nice when you're left alone to do whatever strikes your fancy. Of course, when you're the only guys willing to take the job, they do tend to give you plenty of breathing room.

I'm only a rank amateur when it comes to smithing but every year I've gotten a little better. To use a blacksmithing term, if I didn't have so many irons in the fire, I would devote more time to this. I used to belong to ABANA and the IBA both but I drifted away from smithing and them with it. Both organizations put on conferences that showcase the talents of some of the finest smiths in the world, both traditional blacksmiths and art smiths. ABANA had an excellent magazine that came with your membership. If you're at all interested in the craft, I would encourage you to check them out. Just about every state has an organization or chapter that's within driving distance for monthly meetings. All of the people I've met were always willing to help a newcomer. And, there's actually money to made in doing this. It's not easy but it can be done. Thankfully, there are always people willing to pay for handmade items.

The first day went pretty well. After we got all the tools and stock moved in we got the forge going and went to work. Craig had a job to do right away, so he started on that and I started on a pair of heavy duty tongs. Lots of pounding, which is what the people come to see. Weather was perfect. A nice breeze to keep things cool and the smoke cleared out. The little thermometer in the back of the shop only got up to 88. Last year we hit 115 in that corner. I'll post a couple of photos of finished pieces as the week goes by.

1 comment:

Grumpyunk said...

Aren't you supposed to be "Under the spreading Chestnut tree"?

I lost your email addy, Chief. Send me sumpin so I can mail you back. OK?