Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Tong Wars

















Monday was a slow day at the fair. We only had a few visitors all day but we were lucky enough to have the Queen and Miss Congeniality stop by. It's not every day you get a visit from royalty. We also picked up a small commission job.

The tongs are coming along right smartly. I've got a small pair just about finished and Craig is coming right along on a pair for him. The small ones aren't too tough to make but the big pair requires a lot of hammering. A power hammer would be a real blessing here. I wasn't real happy with the first jaw I made but the second one came out right. Sometime this week I'll make up another one and then try my luck forge welding the handles on.

5 comments:

Surly said...

Why don't you drag your treadle hammer over there? Then it could be used for a second time.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Good idea. It's just a big can crusher now. I'm trying to get the place tooled up. I can probably have the job as long as I want it.

Traveling Pirate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Traveling Pirate said...

So today around 2 p.m. in the 90 degree heat, I was cruising around the Northern Japser/Western Starke County area on my bike and sweating like mad. Then I thought, "At least I'm not being a blacksmith at the fair today." Hope you stayed somewhat cool.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

TP - The weather was pretty good all week for us. I need to get back on my bike or start running again. Just haven't been able to convince myself to exercise after I finish up at the end of the day. I think I'm going to try to race walk the Ramble again.