Tuesday, July 8, 2008


The top picture is a bike frame being built by one of my students. It's going to have a Suzuki 400 cc motor. The frame rails are made out of aircraft strut tubing. He graduated this year but is coming in on my open shop night to complete it. Some of his work on the sheet metal is a little rough but he's learned an awful lot. Besides, how many people can say they built their own motorcycle?

The tombstone has a name that anyone with any knowledge of motorcycle history will recognize. This one doesn't belong to the Floyd Clymer but it caught my eye when I was at the memorial service the other day. The motorcycling Clymer was originally from Indiana but he died in 1970.



Honda update: The forks are full of oil and the carbs are ready to go but I still can't find the key. I'm running out of places to look, as well. I don't want to put the sheet metal on it until I find out if I have to pull the ignition switch out to get a key made. I would like to here the thing run.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Surly didn't have a repo key? Bummer. Don't worry. You'll find that key the day after you get the new one made. Murphy is an ass kicker.

Looking forward to seeing you and Surly come riding down this way.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Found the key today. It was in a coffee can in the basement with the gas cap and the rest of the sheet metal. Hooray for our side!