Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hiring & Firing

An article in Friday's Chicago Tribune said the U.S. lost 62,000 jobs in June. The article also stated "the U.S. economy needs to grow by 100,000 new jobs monthly just to accommodate a growing workforce". I found that one to be a rather interesting statistic. After reading and listening to all the crap about immigration, I'm a little bit confused. If we didn't have a workforce growing at the rate of 100,000 per month, then we wouldn't need all those new jobs. Creating over a million new jobs per year seems to be an expectation that's a bit unrealistic. Seems like it should go the other direction. When you don't have enough people to fill the jobs, then go find some. I realize that's rather simplistic but then when I get to be king, I'm planning on keeping it pretty simple.

So if you're a barista at Starbucks, you might want to start looking for a new gig. How's about this from the Electric Consumer:

Journeyman lineman, Wyoming

Candidate must be able to routinely climb power line structures, including lattice steel towers and wood or steel poles, to heights of 225 feet and, occasionally, to more than 300 feet while the lines are energized. Personnel in this classification must have completed a lineman apprenticeship program or obtained a journeyman line rating. Ability to work as part of a team with good interpersonal skills is required.


I can see where you might have a little trouble finding people willing to climb 300 feet in the air and work on wires that have 40,000 volts running through them. That wouldn't be my first choice. But if that's what you want to do, then checkout www.touchstoneenergy.coop . Let me know how that works out for you.








2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Climbing that high would be a big enough chore w/o knowing there was a zillion volts of electricity above your head. The pay rate would have to be incredible.

I worked a total of 12 hours on those smokestacks by your place during their construction. About 330 feet up or half of the finish height. Couldn't take it. Even though there was no way in hell you could really fall, it gave me the creeps. The boss told me not to feel bad about it and found me a job on the powerhouse instead. I ended up working on the roof of it which was 180+ feet and much more dangerous. But having that solid footing underneath was a lot better.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've been a couple of hundred feet up and while not crazy about it, it doesn't bother me too much. Took a while after my fall to get my sealegs back, though. The electricity part scares the living hell out of me.