Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fencing







































When you live in the country and someone mentions fencing, usually it involves staples, posts and wire. But this was the other kind of fencing with sabres and foils and epees. The young man in the lousy photo, Craig, is a recent graduate of the school and is also my blacksmithing partner. He's been doing this for about six months and looks to be pretty good, from what little I know about it. This took place at the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club sal (I think that's the word). The club has both male and female members ranging from the little guy in the picture up to people in their 50's. The coach told me Indiana State Teachers Association members get a free lesson. So all of my teaching buddies who read this, you might want to give it a try. It looks like a lot of fun and most of them were sweating pretty good by the time they were done. I'm thinking it beats the hell out of sweatin' to the oldies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The irony... my teaching partner here, Jason, is, as he claims, a "recreational fencer". I, however, feel he is probably better than that. We were just discussing fencing at length this morning over breakfast. He is emailing me a powerpoint, that I will forward to you, that you might find interesting about fencing moves......