Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Year of the Volkswagen?



With the start of the new school year, I typically try and set a few goals. I'm thinking this should be the year of the VW. I've got a '74 Super Beetle in the shop that belongs to me and a dune buggy project that belongs to Cuzzin Ricky. The Super's been in here for quite awhile now with not a whole lot of progress to show for it. The dune buggy came in at the very end of the last school year and Rick and I have been working on it as our schedules will allow. I replaced the floorpans as soon as it came in and Rick has been buying parts and stripping the chassis during my open shop nights through out the summer.

We're about ready to set the body on the pan, bolt the seat mounts in place and start bending tubing for the roll cage. The buggy is a 4 seater that takes a full length pan instead of being sectioned like most of them are. This is going to present a little bit of a problem with the fabrication of the roll cage. I need to make a hoop over the jump seat in the back but I'm limited as to where to mount it securely, have it functional and make it look nice. I'm going to have to do some homework on this one.

With a little bit of luck, both of these projects could be drivers by the end of the school year. I'd like to have mine at least move under it's own power and Rick's buggy could be done. Of course, I can't make any promises for his end of the project. In addition to these two, I need to finish the midget project, the chopper bicycle, oversee the building of a new high mileage contender, and just to make it a challenge, the 900 Kaw. That should keep me away from the television and give me plenty to write about here on the blog. Let the games begin!

No comments: