Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fair Days
















































Working the Blacksmith Shop again. I'm thinking this is going to be my fairwell tour (I know I misspelled farewell, it's a joke). It's too damn hot and too much work for the amount of traffic that goes through there. I saw a grand total of three people on Monday and not much better on Tuesday. I had a couple of friends stop by both days to say hi, but hardly any actual fair traffic. It was pretty slow last year as well.

I did get my pork burger and pork tenderloin sandwiches already, though. The Farm Bureau sells a chocolate shake for two bucks that I got on my way out yesterday. So I've pretty much hit the high spots.

They've got some nice tractors on display again this year. The Allis in the picture is just like the one my brother used to have - WD 45 Diesel. I really enjoyed driving that thing. The Minneapolis-Moline has been fitted with a GMC 4-53 Diesel. They did a nice job of putting that engine in. It looks like it belongs. I'm assuming they pull with it judging by the size of the tires on it.

There's a log cabin a couple of buildings away from the Blacksmith Shop and I went down that way today to eat my tenderloin under the shade tree. I went inside and noticed that they had a fireplace but no tools, so as soon as the fire got going I made them a poker. Nothing fancy but it fits with the log cabin era. I made myself a little knife today as well. I picked up a piece of antler a couple of years ago, figuring I'd get around to making a knife to go with it some day. Yesterday was the day. I haven't been making anything like that because of the little chilluns that come around but since there hasn't been anyone at all coming around, seemed like a good time. It needs some finishing work but it's about 80%. Not sure what I'm going to do today but I've got a few small things to work on. Fortunately the temperature is supposed to stop climbing before it hits 100. With the heat index it should be about like it was in Oklahoma. It was 105 in the corner of the shop away from the forge yesterday. That's with a window fan between it and the heat source. Gotta be 120 when you get up close to the forge.

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

MY INTENTION IS TO STOP BY TONIGHT, DO YOU STILL LEAVE AROUND 8? DROP ME ALINE OR CALL AND I'LL TRY TO MEET UP WITH YOU. WAUSEON WAS COOL, YOU NEED TO GET OUT THERE. SHOULD BE ON YOUR BUCKET LIST! LOL

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm there 'til 7:00. Depending on the heat I might walk down by the horses.