Saturday, July 23, 2011







Ryan












Mike














Clip Angles














Cradle Plates






I'm officially retired as the County Fair blacksmith. I handed in my key to the shop after finishing up Friday. It's just too much work and too much time, for too few people. I did see a few people on Friday, however. A couple of families with some kids and an individual who stuck around and talked for quite awhile. He's building a replica of Elwood Haynes' first motorcar. He also raises Talapia and sounds like he dabbles in all sorts of alternative energy/recycling projects. Naturally enough, he touched on WTSHTF scenarios - you can't be working on alternative energy and self-sufficiency here in the Midwest without a little bit of the New World Order or Zombies creeping into the conversation. Interesting guy, just the same.

The tractor photos above show a couple of former students lining up for the tractor parade they have every year. A couple of good ones right there. The other photos show the clip angles and plates for the lifting cradle.

The plates will get sandwiched between a couple of 2x12's to make up a pair of beams that will run the length of the building. The clip angles will allow me to bolt cross ties to the beams for spreaders. Unfortunately my magnetic drill quit working and the part to fix it is no longer available. The guy is checking to see if something else will cross reference. If not, instead of an eighty-five dollar part, I'll have to buy a new drill motor for about $600.00. I'm not liking that idea. I called around and none of the rental places have a mag drill and the pieces are too big for me to be man-handling around by myself under the drill press or the iron worker. I'll see what the guy comes up with for parts first. You would think that Milwaukee Electric Tools would make an armature that would fit the thing. I don't know if anyone could rewind it, and if so, what that would cost. I can't see me drilling all those holes with a hand drill, though.

The Missus and I are doing some baby-sitting next week, plus we're getting new tile in the kitchen and laundry room the following week. I can save a few bucks by moving the appliances and ripping out the old carpet myself, so I won't have a lot of time for the barn project between the grandkids and floor prep. I've only got three weeks of vacation left. It's looking like I'll be lucky to have the barn at the same stage it was before summer started. Regardless, it'll get done.
Hopefully, before the snow flies.

Enjoy the weekend, it's supposed to cool down a little here. Lets hope so.

5 comments:

leroy99 said...

Have a mag base if ya need just give me a shout if you want to use it I'm listed in the book.

cuzzin ricky said...

there's an electric shop up on calumet ave in hammond i'll think of the place it's just south of chicago and calumet on the west side of the street went there a couple of times for the shop and working construction mills electric that's it don't know if the old timers still run it but back then if they6 couldn't get it they could rebuild or make you a new one if i remember right they had a display of milwaukee chuck keys right on the counter later cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Leroy99: I'll give you call. If you've got one I can bum, it'll speed production up considerably. Thanks.

cuzzin ricky: No luck from Milwaukee, so I'll see about getting it rewired. If I can borrow one for now, I can get it fixed at my leisure.

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

I THINK WE HAVE ONE AT WORK, I'LL LOOK ON MONDAY AND LET YOU KNOW MONDAY EVENING. I'M PRETTY SURE I CAN SNEAK IT OUT FOR A FEW DAYS OR A WEEK. I'M SORRY TO HEAR YOU'RE GIVING UP THE BLACKSMITHING BUT I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR FORGE AT THE HOUSE?

WENT TO THE 40TH CLASS REUNION LAST NIGHT AND HAD A BALL. OH AND SORRY I COULDN'T MAKE TO THE BLACKSMITH SHOP THE OTHER NIGHT GOT TIED UP.

TALK TO YOU ON MONDAY EVENING,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

TVI: I think I've got the mag drill covered. I've got a forge and most everything I need at home. When I get the barn done, that will clear up some space in my shop so I'll actually have room to work.

Glad you had a good time at the reunion. Lots of changes in people in 40 years.