Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fight Time

Fight's start in about six hours and I'm killin' more time. I managed to get to the museum today. Jimmy, his wife and a couple of friends went out for lunch so they dropped me off and I looked around while they ate lunch. Not as much to see as I would have thought at the Comanche history museum but there was another one on the same grounds so I checked that out quickly. They have a big Baldwin locomotive that used to run on the Frisco Line and a stockade settlement with a couple of interpreters. I talked a little blacksmithing while sweating my ass off. They set a record here yesterday - 110 degrees. They've had 24 days in a row of triple digit temperatures with no relief in sight. It'll be at least 30 days according to the weather forecast.

Jimmy came in at exactly 160 yesterday. He was hungry as a bear after the weigh-in, of course, so we went to Luigi's (If you're ever in Lawton, Oklahoma, I highly recommend them. I had some great tortellini). He should be plenty hydrated by fight time. He's been drinking water and Gator-Ade pretty much non-stop since the weigh-in. He's taking a little nap now. I'm officially licensed by the Comanche Nation to work the corner, by the way. I always worry prior to a fight about him getting hurt but the heat is adding to my worries this time. He's in great shape but it's going to be hot. It's bad enough fighting an excellent opponent but fighting the heat at the same time will be extra tough. I have all the faith in the world in him, though. I know he'll give it his all and what more can you ask? He did make the 10:00 PM news last night. They had a quick blurb about the fight and they showed Jimmy and Comanche Boy facing off at the press conference. He was in today's paper as well. Big star, that boy. Maybe even bigger after tonight. I'd like to be able to carry that belt home for him.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know how Jimmy did last night!