Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Motorcycle Dreams





























Found these at 8 Negro. The site is in Spanish but the pictures of the bikes and girls don't really need much of an explanation. I've been dealing with the motorcycle Jones all summer. Since the barn project is pretty much going to rule out me working on my bike projects, I'm real close to just throwing the money down and buying something. I've been looking at a small bike that will give me decent mileage and not cost an arm and a leg. There's not much out there in the 500 cc category anymore. There are a few 250 street bikes and then it's pretty much 600 sport bike @ $10,000 or more. When I was just out of high school, my 250 Harley was stolen and I wanted to move up to a Triumph 500. It was a beautiful bike but since I was using the old man's wheels, he figured I should buy a car and not another bike. So that was the end of the Triumph plan.

However, now I can afford a new Triumph but I'm basically too cheap to spring for the Thruxton or the Bonneville. I've got a shop full of motorcycles, so it's hard to justify buying anything, period. I did put $100.00 worth of gas in the truck this morning and the pump shut off before the tank was full. Something that gets 70 - 80 mpg, gets me around town and back and forth to work could actually come close to paying for itself. Instead of $200.00 per month for fuel, I could get around for $50.00. You could just about make a payment on the gas savings. It would save the wear and tear on the pick up and make it last a few more years. It's not worth anything on trade now, so I'll be looking at the whole enchilada when I'm ready for a new one. What's that going to cost -$25 - 30, 000 in a couple of years? Am I'm just talking bare bones.

Honda's got a new 250 street bike for $4000 and Kawasaki has the 250 Ninja for the same price. The local dealer has a leftover model Yamaha 250 Supermoto looking thing that looks pretty cool. 70 mpg, six speed tranny, fuel injection and it sits tall, so I'd fit on it. All three of these are cheaper than a Vespa. Real motorcycle, scooter price. I'd still like to have a Guzzi, though.

Enough of the dreaming, back to work. I picked up the steel for the lifting cradle yesterday. Need to get the print drawn up for that. I got my helper lined up to cover my shift at the county fair on Sunday. We took the tools and supplies down, so he's ready to go. I got some grass cut and piddled around in the shop at home doing some clean up. So a pretty productive day. Similar kind of thing on tap for today, as well.


2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

YOU'D LOOK GOOD ON EITHER ON OF THOSE BIKES IN THE PICTURES, BUT YOU MIGHT LOOK LIKE A GORILLA ON A SKATEBOARD ON THE TWO LITTLE ONES! HA HA! THE BIKE JONES IS HANGIN' ON FOR ME TOO, BUT LIKE I TOLD YOU SATURDAY, I'M TOO DAMN BUSY TO EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. OH WELL, JUST LIFE I GUESS.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Suzuki has a 500cc that apparently didn't sell real well - they list a couple of older models on the website. Decent price and might fit me a little better. I imagine it's a lot nicer bike than the old 500 Yamaha I used to ride all the time. I might see if one of those is available. Or maybe I'll just wait it out and see what I can get done on some of my junk after I finish up the barn. It wouldn't take that much to finish my 900 Kaw.