Monday, July 18, 2011

Oklahoma Recap






Only in the West








Stretch limo made from a dually. This was at the Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City. I found it rather ironic that they named an airport for a guy who died in a plane crash.






4-8-2 Baldwin








Almost a million pounds with loaded tender. The St. Louis-San Francisco Railway bought thirty of these. This is one of the six survivors. Lots of scrap iron here. This one ran up to 1960, I believe.






American Bison








This was inside the city park but they have a wildlife park outside of town that has buffalo, elk, deer, and longhorn cattle. I would have liked to have spent a little time there. Maybe when it was a little cooler, however. That 100 plus heat kind of takes the fun out of tramping around outside.







Native Dancer












He performs a dance in the ring before The Comanche Boy enters.








George "The Comanche Boy" Tahdooahnippah











George was kind enough to pose for a photo after wrapping his hands and getting gloved up.








Jimmy "The Fighting School Teacher" Holmes











Here's Jimmy after gloving up with his "game face" on.







The Winner












The referee raising George's hand in victory. Not at all what we came to Oklahoma for but that's the old fight game.

Jimmy and I had a little debriefing Sunday morning and Jack and Karen, his trainer and cut man, and I talked a little as well. I think we came up with a couple of things that, looking back, could have affected Jimmy's performance and how to make sure things go better in the future. With a knockout comes a 45 day mandatory suspension, so Jimmy will have a little time to rest, recover from the hard training, and then move ahead once again.

It was a good trip. Everyone treated us real well in Oklahoma and I got a chance to rest for the first time since school was out. Other than that one left hook, it went well. Now it's blacksmithing time. Still not sure what the heck I'm going to do when I show up there today but I'll come up with something. It's going to be in the 90's with a chance of rain, so I don't expect a lot of traffic anyway.

Have a good week - try to stay cool.

2 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I did a little checking the other day and I'm down to 12,000 points behind you in the President's Challenge. I planned on getting in 2-3 hours of biking each day this week to make a dent in that 12,000. Unfortunately, this heat is something else so I've only gotten in an hour each day. Just 24 hours of biking plus however many points you earn and I'll be all caught up!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Between the sore chest and the barn rebuilding, I haven't been spending much time on that other than working the gym. I did get some walking in when in Oklahoma. You keep going and I'll crank it up again this fall. You'll be busy with your new job and I'll be busy avoiding mine - that'll leave me plenty of time for exercise.