Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Plates Are Done

I was able to borrow a mag drill, so I got my plates drilled for the lifting cradle. It just so happens a former student was kind enough to loan me one. It's good to have friends - thanks Dave. I'm baby sitting again today, so I won't see much progress today but I might be able to get to the lumber yard for some studs and layout the back wall. I've got a dentist appointment later in the day so that will rule out any work this evening. I would like to get at least one wall up this week. I need to get a material list and get the remaining lumber out to the house. I'll have them deliver the long 2x12's for the lifting cradle and then load them up on a trailer and get them over to school to finish the beams for that part of the job. I'm going to need plenty of muscle for the front wall with that big header, so I'd like to have the beams done and on site so I can have some help sliding them under the roof section while I've got the manpower.

I need to get the appliances out of the laundry room and kitchen and the carpet torn out this week to be ready for the tile guys next week. I might see about starting that today. I can do some of that while the boys are here, I think. I'll just play it by ear and do what I can, either inside or out depending on the weather and the grandsons.

Jimmy just got back from the Bare Knuckle Boxing Hall of Fame. He and I might be going there to do some promotional thing later this year. The Hall of Fame is located where William Muldoon trained John L. Sullivan himself for the last Bare Knuckle Championship.. We'll stay in the barn where they trained and Jimmy will train using some of Muldoon's training methods. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Actually it sounds more like a camping trip - not exactly posh living quarters - but fun just the same. One more reason why I need to see some progress on the barn.

Lots to do and summer break is fast slipping away. I'll keep plugging away at the projects and take what I get. I was doing real good on finishing things until the barn crashed. It'll all be worth it once it's done, though.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Did you get into any of those jars yet I think the pickles this year are my finest work yet!! No problem on the drill if ya need a little muscle moving beams cradles or what not the live in baby sitter pulled in about an hour ago let me know. I know a guy :-)

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Didn't get a chance to sample anything yet. Stopped and ate out on the way home from the dentist. I'll keep you in mind for the muscle. Thanks.