Saturday, September 1, 2012

All Spun Out

The more I think about the Kawasaki project, the more confused I get. I was thinking of a color scheme kind of like this Ducati Imola only in reverse. Silver on the frame, green on the sheet metal. Surly opined that it would probably look like clown vomit, so I've taken that under advisement. I did mention to him maybe some flames on the tank, subtle though. Dark green or silver under the green of the tank so they just show up and that's about all. Might be what brought out the clown vomit comment.


I'm a big fan of blue and silver also. Either the frame silver and the sheet metal blue or the other way around like in the photo here. This one's got the gold mag wheels and some other gold bits on it as well. This one is also a way cool bike. Nothing at all like I'm shooting for but I like the blue and silver. 


The old drag bike was a silver gray. That looked good with all the shiny bits and the black header and seat cover. Not to everyone's taste but I was happy with it. I'm a definite fan of silver and gray. The pickup I'm driving now is silver, the one before was red with silver trim, and the one before that was gray and silver. My old SR500 Yamaha I painted gray with some red flames on the tank. Again, nothing garish, just enough color  to see them.

If I go with the Superbike replica look, not much fancy paint with those things - definitely no flames. Cafe racer look usually pretty simple as well. Solid colors of the white, black or red variety mostly. Some nice yellow ones out there, though. Drag racers - anything from mild to wild. Maybe I should go to the auto parts store and look at all the greens in the paint book. Kawasaki green is one thing, John Deere green is another, and the metallic green I've got in mind is a another thing all together. TVI brought a magazine by with a Harley in it that's kind of like the build I'm trying to put together. It's a wild Candy Red, 131 cid cafe racer/hot rod of a thing. The look is a little too modern for my idea of the Kawasaki - it's got a pair of those little high intensity headlights and a small taillight to match, but man, it's one cool cycle. It's a product of Kendall Johnson Customs. For a "chopper guy", he nailed the cafe look dead nuts with that big inch Harley.

I started building the new front steps yesterday after I got home from work - not sure how much of that I'll be able to get done with the rain they're forecasting. I'll be thinking about the 900 for the next few days and when the steps are done, I'm building a motorcycle. Coincidentally, while I was at the new job yesterday, one of the other welding instructors was looking at some photos on the computer of some of his handi-work. One of the pics I recognized right away. A guy on a lay-down bike at old US 30 Dragstrip. We got to talking and he was racing a car back then at the same time I was racing my 900. He's put together several drag bikes and he makes these wild little over-powered mini-bikes now. Lots in common here.

Enjoy the holiday weekend. One day a year dedicated to the people who actually work. Brief history of the holiday here. Thank you Eugene V. Debs and all the rest.

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY BOB, I SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT THE LIGHTS BUT A COOL SHADE OF CANDY APPLE GREEN AND THOSE GOLD MAGS MIGHT BE WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.I'VE SEEN THAT COLOR ON THE NEW CAMARO'S KIND OF LIKE BOB'S. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SNEAK SOME GHOST FLAMES ON IT. JUST SOMETHING TO PONDER FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS. HA HA TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I made a little CO2 car when I was teaching the Intro to Tech class that I painted a metallic green with a gold canopy. I liked the look of the gold and the green together but I wouldn't go with the silver frame with that dark green. Maybe just go with a black frame, green sheet metal and the gold mags - light green or gold flames under the green metallic paint. Hell, I don't know. Usually I know right where I'm going when I start a project. This time it's a matter of narrowing it down between several ideas. Maybe a trip to the hobby shop and get a couple of rattle cans of model paint and try some things out.

I'm going to do a little something out in the shop while it's raining. Maybe while I'm out there I'll have an epiphany. Regardless, I'm ordering some parts and getting after it starting next week!