Sunday, January 25, 2015

I Need to Get Out More

I was scrolling up the channels to see if there was a movie worth watching or maybe something interesting going on with the NHL All Star Weekend last evening and came across the 24 hour race at Daytona. Just as I was tuning in they were talking about the DeltaWing car that retired earlier due to some mechanical malfunction. I'd never heard of the DeltaWing before. I guess it's been around for a couple of years but I rarely watch car racing on TV anymore nor do I buy car magazines like Road & Track or Car & Driver.



Going along with that, I've got a guy in my welding class that has a really nice '69 Camaro that he showed me a couple of pictures of. He said he's got it set up for autocross. It's got the leaf springs under the rear now but he's planning on putting a four link system under it. I thought that set up was only for drag racing. In fact, I put several Camaros together with those set ups under them years ago. I was talking to my buddy with the '68 Camaro about it and he said there's all kinds of new and improved suspension stuff now for those old cars. Man, I need to get into the 21st century.

Or maybe not.


I got my new Motorcyclist magazine in the mail yesterday and they had an article about a BMW sidecar outfit. When I went to their website and typed in a search for sidecars hoping to link to the article, I found the above photo and a short blurb about vintage sidecar racing and how it has grown. When I was in AHRMA there weren't but a couple of rigs. Apparently that's not the case anymore. If I'm going to be stuck in the '70's, maybe I should head to Mid-Ohio for Vintage Days this year. Looks like I don't even know what's new with the old. Definitely need to get out more.

Today, however, we play two in honor of Mr. Cub himself, Ernie Banks.

2 comments:

Surly said...

I don't have many "bucket list" type things that I might regret not doing but being a sidecar monkey would be one of them.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'd really like to give it a try but don't see that happening. Getting to be a little too old for that kind of thing.