Friday, January 23, 2015

Triton

Photo From Here
Now, ain't that sweet! One fine looking Triton.

Photo From Here
And sweeter still, something to haul it in. A 1956 DKW something or other.



But sweetest of all, I actually got a little something done on the project front lately. The piece in the forground is part of the fixture for sharpening the wood lathe tools. It needs to be long so you can drop a gouge in there and get the right angle with the grinding wheel. However, there's also another attachment used when putting a "fingernail" grind on a tool. For that you need to push the long red gizmo most all the way in. In my case that would mean having to poke a hole in the wall, cut the long red gizmo off or make a short one. I choose the latter. I think I'm pretty well set now for lathe work. I imagine there'll be a few other things as I start to use it more - there's always something else you need.

The two pieces of angle in the rear of the photo are for my table saw to mount up a bigger table top. That will give me more work support on the sides and the out-feed area. I need to find a 4' x 4' piece of particle board or MDF, maybe 1" thick. Something with a laminate on top would be perfect. I'll need to cut a couple of grooves in it for the miter gauge, plus I'm planning on making a couple of sleds for the saw. They'll need grooves on the out-feed side as well. Getting the woodshop set up this year is fairly high on my list of priorities for the year. 

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY BOB, TRY ONE OF THE BIG HARDWARE STORES(LOWES, HOME DEPOT ETC.). THEY MIGHT HAVE AN OLD COUNTER TOP OR CUT OFF FOR SALE.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I usually shop at Menards because it's real close to the college. I took a cursory look a couple times but didn't see anything exactly like what I want. There's a Home Depot close by, I'll check there one of these days. There's no real hurry but sometime before I die I'd like to have all the tools and equipment set up so I can just go out and do whatever I want. No dragging things out, no moving this to get to that or fixing one thing so I can use it to fix some other thing. I might never get to that point but I am getting closer.