Thursday, October 15, 2015

Gettin' It Done




That's pretty much been my way of thinking for a long time. The trouble is funding and finding the time to work it all in. Not really a complaint, mind you, just stating the obvious. There are no dress rehearsals in this life. One shot is all you get at it and I'm at the point in life when later is now. About the only big thing left on the bucket list, however, is to see all 50 states. I've still got four more to go. I was going to knock two out this summer but with the wife's illness that got put on hold. Maybe between semesters I'll take the red-eye to Vegas and I can tick Nevada off the list. I'd like to take that bike trip to California some day too. The one that I was going to take back in '68 until some SOB stole my Sprint. Not that I'm bitter or anything!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I made great strides putting the back of the shop together the other day. Put the big school shop table back in, got the forge and heater installed, moved some motorcycles around, put the cabinets back and moved the bike stand in. I was using my ramp for loading bikes into the back of the truck with the stand but it's longer than needed for the workstand, plus the angle of the metal lip for the tailgate is wrong. I had a leftover 2x10 that's the right length so I made a metal lip with the proper angle, so that's taken care of. Now I can roll my Sprint up on there. Since Surly's been talking Sprints, I'm getting the itch to work on mine. It doesn't really need much but like every other old bike that's been sitting around, the frame needs a fresh coat of paint which means I'll need to pursue a paint booth of some sort or farm the painting out - something to think about on the long winter nights. Main thing is I'm moving forward.

No comments: