Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Taking Out The Garbage


Tack welded the parts for the can mover. Looks like it's going to work just fine providing I can figure out the spring loaded latch. In the video they demonstrate moving the lever to actuate the release but the pin in the slot doesn't move until you take the weight off the can when lowering it down. Then it pops up out of the slot. When the lever is moved in the other direction, the pin drops back into the slot. I'm guessing that the lever and the pin are connected by a spring and there is also a spring pulling the pin downward into the slot. Still need to give that a bit more thought but I'll figure it out. I'm just like the Mounties - I always get my man.


The crazy weather didn't seem to bother the magnolia tree too much. Even though we got a bit of snow Friday night, it still blossomed out nicely. Good sign.

However, not a good sign, was what I saw in the Wall Street Journal the other day. The students at University of California, San Diego were protesting the announced choice of the commencement speaker as being offensive, oppressive and a few other things.Who is this bad man? The Dalai Lama! I've had the privilege and honor to see the Dalai Lama in person and if you think this man is oppressive or offensive, you really need to get in touch with reality. Maybe book a flight to Tibet right after graduation and see what those people have been putting up with or ask his Holiness what it's like having to live in exile. What a waste of an education.

I'm finishing the current session at my college this week. We don't have any protesting going on but the percentage of knuckleheads attending seems to be increasing. I think it's time to start stringing the concertina wire around the perimeter here at the shack and settle into the life of a recluse. I'm off next week for spring break and then I'm down to only 60 working days left in my career. With breaks and working only two days per week, that'll take me until December to get the 60 in, but I'm ready to go. The boss did me a real favor scheduling me four days per week. Made the decision to quit real easy.

Spring is on the way and taking out the garbage is becoming more enjoyable. There's always that silver lining.



2 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

Instead of a spring latch, I'm considering just using a pin that will drop through when I raise the can into position.
Still taking measurements to allow adjustment to use it on both my jeep and my farm truck.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

That was my first thought as well. However, I've become intrigued with how the other one is made. I'll give it a bit more thought in the next few days and see what I can come up with. I've got final exams today and tomorrow along with driving the wife to the eye doctor, etc. Off next week, though. Hope to finish up that project and make some headway on a couple others.

Progress has been slow the last couple of years. Hoping to finish a few things this year. Still got quite a few I'd like to start!